Hamburger Helper Cacciatore
Ah, Hamburger Helper. This was a staple of my childhood. Those week nights with Mom looking for a quick, cheap meal that can be cooked up and severed up in between girl scouts and baseball practice. I bought some recently, and dressed it up to create Hamburger Helper Cacciatore.
Ok, so it’s not really cacciatore, but it was my cacciatore recipe that was the inspiration for this elevated Hamburger Helper.
This recipe is 6 Weight Watcher Freestyle Points, using fat free milk and 90% lean beef.
- 1 box Hamburger Helper Beef Pasta
- 1 lbs. ground beef
- 1 cup milk
- 1 ½ cup beef broth
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 small eggplant, cut into small pieces
- 1 yellow squash, cut into small pieces
- 1 zucchini, cut into small pieces
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- Heat large pan over medium high heat. Brown beef and onions.
- When beef is about half done, drain if necessary and add zucchini, squash, and eggplant. Continue cooking until meat is browned. Drain again if necessary.
- Stir sauce mix from Hamburger Helper and broth into pan. When sauce mix is dissolved, add milk, pasta, tomatoes, and Italian seasoning.
- Heat until boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for about 10 minutes, or until pasta is soft.
- Serve hot.
I love clearance racks. They are a great place to get awesome deals, and sometimes make new discoveries for cheap. I was in a store a few weeks ago and there were carts full of discounted Hamburger Helper! A favorite when I was a kid, I hadn’t had it for years, so I bought a few boxes.
For lunch last week I made up a batch, as instructed by the box, and found it to be really bland. I was expecting if nothing else maybe a bit salty from the preservatives (after all, it’s a boxed dinner), but instead this dish needed some flavor. So, I went to work on the recipe. The new creation is full of flavor, full of vegetables, and the best part is, it doesn’t take any longer to cook!
Heat large pan over medium high heat. While pan is warming, chop the onion. When pan is hot, cook onions and brown the beef.
While beef is cooking, chop zucchini, squash, and eggplant. When beef is about half done, drain if necessary. Add zucchini, squash and eggplant. Cook until the meat is browned. Drain if necessary.
There are two things in the Hamburger Helper box: pasta and sauce mix. Start by stirring the sauce mix and the beef broth into the pan. Stir until the sauce mix has dissolved. Add milk, pasta, tomatoes, and Italian seasoning to the pan.
Stir until well combined and heat until boiling. Once boiling, reduce heat and cover. Allow pan to simmer until pasta is cooked, about 10 minutes.
Need more quick dinners? Sign up for one of our meal plan subscriptions and get
Return the blog home.